KIA ORA/GREETINGS TO ALL PARENTS AND FRIENDS OF THE SCHOOL
Our best wishes go out to all our families over this particularly challenging time. Teachers will have contacted you this week to set up learning for your child and provide access to their learning sites whether it be Class Dojo or Hapara. If you are having difficulty please email your child’s teacher so that they can get this sorted for you.
Please note that the school holidays have been brought forward so that they are completed within the 4 week period. Holidays will now begin from Monday 30 March to Tuesday 14 April inclusive (a reminder that the Tuesday after Easter Monday is always a closed day for schools)
SETTING UP ROUTINES AT HOME
Most children feel safe when there are clear routines put in place. Routines are important in order to keep things calm.You may want to consider the following when setting up these routines:
- Think of the structure of your day ahead. Discuss and write these down – and try to stick to them vigilantly. And if they don’t work? Simply review and adjust.
- Break the day up into a number activity sessions, which will depend on the age of the child.
- Such activity sessions can range between 15-40 minutes, depending on the activity and the age of the child.
- When are your meal and snack times?
- We persevere as much as we can and then try to extend that time a little longer (eg if 5 minutes concentrating is hard, celebrate that success, and extend the goal to 6 minutes using a timer).
- We allow short brain or fitness/moving breaks to keep developing focus for gradually longer times. Fruit breaks are great. And plenty of water helps with the learning and concentration.
- Give yourself as parents time out (“me time”) during the day, and when the kids are on their beds (ideally) reading a story and, if not, listening to a story
- Have strong limits on the use of devices! These should not be used for entertainment during the day.
- And remember – While working with others is good, also allow your child to play on his/her own. You do not have to organise “every minute” of the day. Children need to learn to entertain themselves without a device or TV.
CYBER SAFETY AT HOME
At school we utilise internet safety software and have an internet agreement that must be adhered to. With your child increasing their online activity at home over the next few weeks families will need to think about expectations and restrictions for their children to keep them safe. Below are some links which can support you in this.
Take care and try to enjoy the opportunity to spend quality time with family. The next School Newsletter edition will be in 2 weeks.
Noho ora mai
FROM THE BOT
Dear Parents, Caregivers and Whanau
We are now officially in a Level 4 government enforced lockdown to help combat Covid-19 and it’s spreadthroughout New Zealand. Due to this the April school holidays are being brought forward. The new dates for theschool holidays will be Monday 30 th March 2020 until Tuesday 14 th April 2020.
Turua School is now closed to everyone, including teachers and students. To ensure we are complying, there is to be no community use of the school facilities. This includes the playground, swimming pool and drinking fountains. This will remain in place for at least the next 4 weeks.
From the 15 th April 2020 Term two will begin, however, New Zealand will still be at a Level 4 for Covid -19 and therefore all learning will be carried out via online or learning packs (for those who requested them). Teachers will set tasks on Google Classroom for the children to complete. From the 15 th April 2020 the teachers will be available via class dojo or seesaw for any help and queries you may have.
Turua School will endeavour to keep you updated as new information comes to light via Seesaw, Class dojo, Facebook and/or email.
Stay safe and be kind as we are all in this together.
Turua School Board of Trustees